4.08.2008

The Movement and the Moment – Old News Reviews

mvmtcover.jpg

I got an email a couple months ago from Mary Uyematsu Kao, the Publications Coordinator at the UCLA Asian American Studies Center Press. She wasn't writing me in any professional capacity, but instead to share her admiration for Ericka Huggins who I'd written about last summer. We got to talking and she mentioned she'd designed a book she thought I'd be interested in, and then she was nice enough to send me a copy. I was interested. Asian Americans: The Movement and the Moment, Edited by Steve Louie and Glenn Omatsu is packed with ephemera of the sixties and seventies Asian American activist scenes: a Yuri Kochiyama quote, Nancy Hom posters, Corky Lee photos, poems, song lyrics, movement newspapers. In between the pictures and quotes are reflective essays on the Third World Strike, the I-Hotel struggle, the Queer Asian movement, and lots, lots more. You can flip through for a quick look or you can settle in for a good long read. Thanks Mary! I love it!

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
Some Rights Reserved.